UPSC Prelims Structure and Syllabus 2022 | Check Details Here
The UPSC Prelims Structure and Syllabus 2022 notification for the year 2022 are out! The Civil Services Examination is one of the many exams conducted by the Union Public Service Commission annually. The exam is conducted to recruit candidates for All India and Central services like the Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Forest Service, Indian Foreign Service, etc.
The Civil Services examination consists of three levels of exams for which the candidates aspiring to get into the civil services need to qualify. Prelims examination is the first level of examination to be cracked among the three levels in the UPSC Civil Services Examination, followed by Civil Services Mains Examination and the Personality Test. Read on to find out more about the UPSC Prelims Structure and Syllabus for the year 2022.
The Prelims exam consists of two papers, one being the General Studies paper and the other Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT). Only those candidates who qualify for both the papers of the Preliminary examination are allowed to appear for the Civil Services Mains Exam. Syllabus for General Studies Paper or Paper-1 of UPSC prelims is set by the UPSC and is as follows:
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change- that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
The CSAT paper or Paper -2 of the Prelims exam consists of the following topics:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level).
- English language comprehension skills – Class X level.
Prelim is a test for the elimination of candidates and the marks will not be included in arriving at the final order of merit. However, a candidate has to qualify in both the papers in order to be allowed to take up the Civil Services Mains examination. The cut-off marks for General Studies paper-1 are decided by the UPSC every year, while a candidate has to score at least 30% of the total marks in Paper-2 to qualify in the prelims. A candidate in order to qualify for the mains has to attempt and qualify both the papers.
The duration of both the papers is 2 hours each. Paper-1 consists of 100 questions of 2 marks each and Paper-2 consists of 80 questions of 2.5 marks each. The scheme of marking is such that unanswered questions do not attract any penalty while wrong answers attract a penalty of 1/3rd of the marks awarded.
A candidate must follow the Civil Services Prelims Syllabus while preparing to appear for the examination. Keeping your preparation in line with the UPSC syllabus would make clearing the prelims examination easier.
For more guidance on the UPSC Civil Service examination and for tips and tricks to crack the UPSC Prelims exam, subscribe to our Byju’s YouTube channel
Direct Link Here:-https://www.upsc.gov.in/
Questions and Answers on it
Most Possible questions and answers on UPSC Prelims Exam Structure and Syllabus would be listed here soon. In Case you also have any kind of queries on it then please write us through commnets. Team OID will get you back as soon as possible.